Streetcars were once the means Greenpointers used to travel to the other parts of Brooklyn. The lady who owned our house before us was a young first generation Italian-AMerican girl whose mother was illiterate. The mother asked her daughter to help her make out the letters on the Lorimer Street Line, which she took to shop downtown
The Greenpoint and Lorimer Street Railroad was incorporated on November 6, 188 to operate along the New Williamsburgh and Flatbush Railroad (Nostrand Avenue Line) from the Broadway Ferry in Williamsburg southeast to Lorimer Street, and then north on Lorimer Street, east on Driggs Avenue, north on Manhattan Avenue, west on Meserole Avenue, north on Franklin Street, and west on Greenpoint Avenue to the Greenpoint Ferry; southbound cars would use Nassau Avenue to Lorimer Street. In addition to the NW&F, this route used the tracks of several other companies: the Brooklyn Crosstown Railroad’s Crosstown Line on Driggs Avenue and Manhattan Avenue, the Brooklyn City Rail Road’s Greenpoint Line on Franklin Street, and the Bushwick Railroad’s Bushwick Avenue Line on Greenpoint Avenue. The NW&F soon leased the G&LS, and Lorimer Street cars were sent south on the Nostrand Avenue Line to Prospect Park. In July 1889 the Brooklyn City Rail Road leased them both and rerouted all cars but one per day (to preserve the charter) from Meserole Avenue to Greenpoint Avenue.
Beginning May 30, 1896, the Lorimer Street Line was extended southeast from Prospect Park along the Flatbush Avenue Line and new Bergen Beach Line to Bergen Beach during the summer season. At some point, the line was extended to Park Circle via Ocean Avenue and Parkside Avenue.
At the end of World War II street cars were considered outdated and people were meant to travel by cars. The lines were hearing their death knell. When the Franklin Avenue Line was discontinued on October 28, 1945, Lorimer Street cars were rerouted to cut west on the Flushing Avenue Line and south on Franklin Avenue to Prospect Park. The north end was rerouted to absorb the Nassau Avenue Line east of Manhattan Avenue, ending near Newtown Creek, when that line was discontinued the same day. Buses replaced streetcars on December 14, 1947,
There is now a proposition to bring back the cars,but to run them along the poorly served waterfront streets. I think it makes perfect sense for waterfront areas like Greenpoint.